Find Courses in UAccess
To identify Honors classes in UAccess:
- Select a course subject, e.g., "Anthropology" or "Mathematics Main" (or leave the subject blank to display all Honors courses).
- Expand the "Additional Search Criteria" section.
- Select "Honors Course" under "Class Attribute" and "Honors Course" under "Class Attribute Value." You can also use "Class Attribute 2" to search for "General Education" and "Class Attribute Value 2" to refine your search to specific general education areas such as "General Education: Tier 1 Traditions & Cultures."
Honors students register for classes during the time set aside for juniors. Additionally, students have the opportunity to register with their class (based on the number of units they have earned) using our unique "Shopping Cart" feature. Senior Honors students register with the seniors and then can register again during junior/Honors registration.
Please remember that all other policies and procedures relevant to registration apply to Honors students. Specifically:
- Any course prerequisites and requirements for advanced standing will apply when registering for classes. Students can find these requirements in the UA general catalog.
- There is currently a 16-unit limit cap during priority registration. Honors students may register for more than 16 units by filling out a change of schedule form with the class and section number they would like to add and bringing this form to the registrar’s office. Students do not need a faculty signature on this form and as long as the course has seats (which students can see on UAccess or the schedule of classes), they will be able to add more than 16 units during priority registration.
- To register for more than 19 units, students need permission from the Dean of their college.
- Some courses are closed to registration through UAccess. Additionally, many majors will not allow students to register for their courses during priority registration if they are not declared majors or minors. Also, many majors will not let students declare a major during priority registration. Therefore, it is important to begin thinking about the classes for the next semester well in advance of priority registration.
- If students have a hold on their record (due to unpaid bills, library fines, parking tickets, etc.) they will not be able to register using UAccess. Students can check UAccess before registering to confirm that they have no blocks on their record.
Students who have at least three semesters remaining until graduation and have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 after taking 12 or more units at the University of Arizona may nominate themselves for entrance into The Honors College. There are a few steps in this process. Students who are interested in self-nominating into the Honors College need to schedule an appointment with an Honors advisor by calling 520-621-4262.
The number of Honors units that a self-nominating student will need in order to graduate with Honors will be determined at this advising meeting. In general, students entering with 60 or more units will be required to complete 18 units of Honors credit after they are accepted to The Honors College, and students with 30 or more units will need 24 Honors units, again earned after they are accepted to The Honors College.
Non-transfer freshmen students who self-nominate in the first four weeks of their second semester will need to complete 30 Honors units to graduate with Honors. However, for these students only, any Honors units earned during the first and second semester shall be honored. Call the Honors College at 520-621-4262 if you would like to initiate the self-nomination process.
First Level Honors
This certificate serves as a mid-degree recognition for Honors students. It is one of only two Honors College awards offered to Honors students, the other being graduation with Honors. First Level Honors is noted on the transcript and signifies that students are on track to graduate with Honors. In order to obtain the certificate, students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Accumulate at least 15 Honors units before or during the semester the student completes the 60th unit at the University of Arizona.
- >Student must have been admitted to the university as a non-transferring freshman, and joined the Honors College during their first or second year at UA.
- Transfer credits from Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, or dual enrollment do not count toward the 60 units.
- Student must have earned at least 30 units at the University of Arizona before receiving the award.
- Achieve a 3.5 cumulative GPA upon becoming eligible for the certificate.
Important note: It is not necessary to earn First Level Honors in order to graduate with Honors.
This certificate is presented at a biannual award ceremony and the distinction appears on students’ official university transcript. Students do not need to apply for this award and will be notified before the ceremony if they have fulfilled the necessary requirements.